We could all use a little extra time. But, since no one has been able to figure out how to make each day more than 24 hours, we need to rely on time-tested, time management skills. You’re busy, I’m busy; so let’s get right to the heart of this subject in the least amount of time. It’s a super short read, I promise!
Why Time Management Matters for You
You could be a procrastinator. Or, perhaps, you’re the person who’s always the last to arrive. Maybe you’re tired of overdue library books and late fees on bills. No matter if it’s your personal or professional life, managing your own clock well brings multiple benefits to you and those around you.
- Reliability – when you get your tasks done on time, you earn trust
- Productivity – the better you are managing your time, the more productive you can be
- Confidence – reliability + productivity = a boost in self-assurance
Time Management Strategies
There are dozens out there, but below are the most repeated tips I found. Once you land on what works for you, repeat for peak efficiency in every part of your life.
- Know your tasks – whether it’s on a to-do list or set in calendar reminders, make sure you have a record of what needs to get done and when it’s due
- Prioritize – some things are just more important than others
- Biggest impact
- Most time-sensitive
- Can be delegated
- Avoid multi-tasking – it turns out no one is really good at it
- Block out distractions – turn off the email reminders, put your phone out of arm’s reach, and resist surfing the internet
- Establish a routine – do your hardest tasks when you’re most energized each day
Time Management Help
There are plenty of apps to help organize calendars, tasks and due dates. VeryWellMind.com lists their favorite six for 2023. Some are for households, while others are great for work life. They all have free versions too!
Below are links to articles I found helpful when researching this topic:
Indeed – Time Management: Defeating Distraction
Look at that – you’re done reading our blog. If you have time to spare, knock off one more thing on your to-do list before you call it a day!